Vacancy for Communications Traineeship at the Platform for International Cooperation on Undocumented Migrants (PICUM)
9 September 2019 – 27 February 2020 (6 months)
PICUM, the Platform for International Cooperation on Undocumented Migrants, is a network of individuals and organisations working to ensure social justice and human rights for undocumented migrants. Grounded in principles of social justice, anti-racism and equality, PICUM works to ensure that all migrants are entitled to a dignified standard of living and respect. Bringing together the experiences and expertise of its members, PICUM generates and coordinates a humane and informed response to undocumented migrants’ realities and provides a platform to engage policy makers and the general public in the full realisation of their rights.
Based in Brussels, the PICUM secretariat leads the network’s advocacy, awareness raising, and research activities. Unlike its members working on the frontline, PICUM’s secretariat does not provide direct assistance to undocumented migrants but works to build a strong civil society network to support each other and challenge discriminatory policies and practices.
Communications play an important role in PICUM’s work. The candidate will support PICUM’s strategic communications including the database, website, social media and other tools and channels as well as newsletters, communication with members and for events. The work experience will provide an opportunity to gain hands-on experience with the different facets of operating a transnational NGO network, supporting member organisations, and promoting policy change through strategic communications.
For the period from 9 September 2019 – 28 February 2020, the candidate will contribute to PICUM’s work in the following areas:
- Support the drafting of the weekly social media calendar including through monitoring relevant news
- Assist with the production of PICUM’s newsletters
- Support communications with members and partners including through webinars, blogs, information sharing and the dissemination of statements
- Support media relations through updating and building targeted media lists
- Support the production of written and audio-visual outputs (e.g. Adobe Creative Cloud)
- Assist with organising PICUM internal and external events, including PICUM’s group sessions with members
- Translate texts (depending on language skills) and coordinate translation and other support through volunteers
- Support database and contact management and handle information requests.
- Update website content and help maintain the website
- Working flexibly alongside other members of the PICUM team to take on reasonable tasks as appropriate over and above those set above.
- University degree in communications, journalism, human rights, migration studies or other relevant fields
- Strong English writing skills and ability to convey complex information in easy to understand written formats. Other languages an asset, particularly French and Spanish
- Experience in strategic use of social media an asset
- Skills in database management and CMS preferred
- Knowledge of video editing software and audio-visual media production preferred
- Knowledge of and an interest in learning more about issues concerning undocumented migrants and human rights
- Ability to work independently, flexibly and under tight deadlines
- Good planning and organisational skills.
The work is full time and is carried out in PICUM’s office in Brussels, Belgium.
Starting date: Monday, 9 September 2019
Ending date: Friday, 27 February 2020
PICUM will provide the candidate with a Belgian contract of ‘Professional Immersion’ (‘Convention d’immersion professionnelle’) with a remuneration of € 796.91 per month, plus local transport costs and lunch cheques.r
The deadline for applications is Sunday, 21 July 2019 at midnight (CET). Please send the completed application form in English to Gianluca Cesaro at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org, with your last name, first name and PICUM traineeship in the subject line.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by 26 July. Please note that due to the large number of applications and our limited capacity, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interviews will take place at PICUM’s secretariat on 31 July. Interviews on Skype are possible.