PICUM calls for Cypriot authorities to drop the criminal charges against KISA
PICUM is deeply concerned with the Cypriot authorities’ prosecution of KISA, an NGO and PICUM member, a strong defender of the human rights of migrants in Cyprus and, in particular, the action taken against KISA’s Director, Doros Polykarpou.
PICUM strongly condemns the prosecution that we believe is aimed at discrediting, intimidating and silencing the organisation and challenges the willingness of the law enforcement authorities in Cyprus to deal with the growing racist violence in the country. Therefore, we are determined to raise the widest European support amongst institutions and civil society organisations to press the Cypriot authorities to drop the criminal charges against KISA.
With this aim in mind, PICUM has sent a letter to representatives of European institutions to call for support and to the Cypriot authorities to request they drop the criminal charges against KISA.
To view the template of the letter sent to various representatives of EU institutions, click here. The letter was sent to:
- Mr. Herman van Rompuy, President of the Council of the EU
- Ms. Viviane Reding, Vice-President of the European Commission
- Ms. Cecilia Malmström, Responsible for Home Affairs, European Commission
- Mr. Juan Fernando López Aguilar, Chair of LIBE- Ms. Pervenche Berès, Chair of Employment and Social Affairs
- Fundamental Rights Agency
To view the letter sent to Cypriot authorities, click here. The letter was sent to:
- Mr. Demetris Christofias, President of the Republic of Cyprus
- Mr. Petros Clerides, Cypriot Attorney General
- Mr. Loucas Louca, Cypriot Minister of Justice and Public Order-
Mr. Omirou Yiannakis, General Chair of the House of Representatives
-House of Representatives – Human Rights Committee
The first hearing of this case took place on Friday, 22 July 2011 in Larnaca, Cyprus. A PICUM representative was attending the hearing with representatives of other NGOs and European networks. The delegation of four NGO representatives published a press release which is available in English or French. The presence of the delegation was also reported by the Cyrpus Mail, click here to view the article.
For further queries, please do not hesitate to contact Nicola Flamigni, PICUM Communications Officer, email@example.com and Alexandrine Pirlot de Corbion, PICUM Communications Assistant, firstname.lastname@example.org.