Vacancy for Traineeship at the Platform for International Cooperation on Undocumented Migrants (PICUM)
(Native or bilingual proficiency of Spanish)
4 September 2017 – 28 February 2018 (6 months)
PICUM, the Platform for International Cooperation on Undocumented Migrants, is a network of individuals and organisations working to ensure social justice and human rights for undocumented migrants. Grounded in principles of social justice, anti-racism and equality, PICUM works to ensure that all migrants are entitled to a dignified standard of living and respect. Bringing together the experiences and expertise of its members, PICUM generates and coordinates a humane and informed response to undocumented migrants’ realities and provides a platform to engage policy makers and the general public in the full realisation of their rights.
Based in Brussels, the PICUM secretariat leads the network’s advocacy, awareness raising, and research activities. Unlike its members working on the frontline, PICUM’s secretariat does not provide direct assistance to undocumented migrants but works to build a strong civil society network to support each other and challenge discriminatory policies and practices.
The candidate will play an important role in PICUM’s daily work, mainly assisting with administrative tasks, event organisation and membership related activities. The work experience will provide an opportunity to gain hands-on experience with the different facets of operating a transnational NGO network, and promoting social and policy change in the area of human rights for undocumented migrants.
For the period from 4 September 2017 – 28 February 2018, the candidate will contribute to PICUM’s work in the following areas:
- Support the PICUM staff with general administrative tasks including contact and database management and information requests.
- Assist with organising PICUM internal and external events, including PICUM’s working groups and liaise with PICUM members.
- Assist the Communications Officer in the production of PICUM’s newsletters, updating website content, social media and management of other communication tools
- Assist PICUM’s Advocacy Officers with background research, contact management, drafting of papers and other written materials, attend and report on events in Brussels
- Translate texts into Spanish and coordinate translations and other support of volunteers.
- Update PICUM’s library and e-library by classifying and entering into the database various printed and electronic materials on undocumented migrants.
- Working flexibly alongside other members of the PICUM team to take on reasonable tasks as appropriate over and above those set above.
- University degree.
- Knowledge of and an interest in learning more about issues concerning undocumented migrants and human rights.
- Native or bilingual proficiency of Spanish with full professional proficiency of English (orally and written) required. Other languages an asset.
- Ability to work independently, flexibly and under tight deadlines.
- Good planning and organisational skills
- Strong writing and computer skills are preferred.
- Some experience in event organisation preferred.
The work is full time and is carried out in PICUM’s office in Brussels.
Starting date: Monday, 4 September 2017
Ending date: Wednesday, 28 February 2018
PICUM will provide the candidate with a Belgian contract of ‘Professional Immersion’ (‘Convention d'immersion professionnelle’) with a remuneration of € 751 per month.
The deadline for applications is Friday, 30 June 2017 at midnight (CET). Please send your CV and cover letter in English addressed to Ms. Miriam Abdullahi at the following address: email@example.com, with your last name, first name and PICUM traineeship in the subject line.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by 5 July. Please note that due to large numbers of applications and our limited capacity, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interviews will take place at PICUM’s secretariat on 10 July. Interviews on Skype are possible in exceptional circumstances.